As the name suggests, birth control refers to using artificial methods to prevent unwanted pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases or to lessen periods, et cetera. For instance, birth control pills are now readily available at several pharmacies. They are being bought and consumed on a regular basis as a preventive method of pregnancies.
More permanent measures include the Intrauterine Device (IUD). This uses a copper wire that is inserted into the womb through the uterus professionally. Although these methods are not 100% effective, there are certain advantages to using some of them.
Advantages of using Birth Control Pills
The most common benefit of taking pills show that periods become regular and more manageable. It can also make them lighter since heavy menstrual bleeding affects 10% of women.
- Lessening the blood flow means that a female is not at risk of having anemia, i.e. iron deficiency.
- Similarly birth control pills are also known to lower the risk of diseases like ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, etc.
- Acnes are known to be annoying for a woman physically but you can also prevent it by using birth control pills.
- There are hormones in the birth control pills that prevent the inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne.
Disadvantages of using contraceptive methods
Using birth control pills does not affect future fertility option in a woman but there are certain drawbacks to using birth control pills that one should be aware of before consumption:
- Women who smoke are at greater risk of developing a heart attack if they take birth control pills, therefore, they are advised not to take these pills.
- Same goes for the women who have a history of migraines; they are at the risk of getting a stroke.
There is also a chance of depression or irritability.
- Birth control pills are meant to be taken at exactly the same time every single day otherwise there is a risk of inconvenience, for instance, there is a greater chance of conceiving.
- Some woman may be allergic to a number of birth control methods therefore it is very important to ask for a professional's opinion first.
- Birth control method is also known to cause bone loss, which is irreversible once you have taken the shot, even though young and teen woman are supposed to be building bone mass.
Hence birth control methods have a number of pros and cons, therefore you should consult a professional just to be safe.